NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Tex Schramm often called Gil Brandt into his office to look at the fabric swatches draped all over his furniture, wanting another opinion on the right jersey and pants combination for the Dallas Cowboys.
He sure hit on a winning combination. Decades later, Cowboys' jerseys remain among the NFL's top sellers.
"The uniform thing was a special project to him," said Brandt, now historian and player analyst for NFL.com after helping Schramm build the Cowboys. "I can't tell you how much time I spent with him looking at these uniforms and saying, 'Yeah, I think this is the best. This will show up the best on television.'"
As the NFL enters its 100th season, what players wear on the field may have changed the most, going from leather helmets and long-sleeved turtlenecks and sweaters to plastic helmets with jerseys and pants almost shrink-wrapped to fit. The main reason why players wear a jersey remains unchanged even a century later: to tell who plays for which team.
"You want something to identify yourself, right?" said Jon Kendle, director of archives and football information at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
As featured on
The Packers' cornerback group includes young potential stars Jaire Alexander and Kevin King, and ageless veteran Tramon Williams.
Davis finished in the top 10 in the NFL in both punt return average and kickoff return average in 2017 but missed most of last year with a hamstring injury.
Even as he became an NFL superstar playing for Houston, J.J. Watt has never forgotten where he came from, making him one of the state’s favorite sons and greatest ambassadors.
- Backyard Bombs: Army Corps of Engineers to investigate explosive hazard
- Three in one: Bonanza teacher breaks mountaineering record
- Man drowns at Cleetwood Cove
- Man pleads guilty in case involving death of Summer Lake wolf
- Sky Lakes brings new physicians to Klamath Falls
- Bealls to be converted to Gordmans
- Former KID manager accused of creating 'hostile' work environment
- 7 Search & Rescue missions in last 48 hours...
- High Lakes: The new dispensary in town
- Inmate attempts suicide at Klamath County Jail
Red Flag laws allow family members or law enforcement to petition a judge to temporarily remove guns from a person who is seen to be a risk to themselves or others,