Charles Victor Shuck, better known as "Jim," was born on Oct. 27, 1930. in Merrill, Ore., and passed away on Oct. 4, 2019, in Klamath Falls, Ore. Jim is survived by his children and their spouses Vicki (Gary Vincent), Matt (Mary), Dan (Tammy) and Beth (Glen Carey); grandchildren Camille, Ryan, Tyler, Ricky, Mallory, Rachel and Becky; 14 great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife Joanna, his brother Mervyn and his parents Helen and Cliff. Jim grew up in the Merrill/Tulelake area, graduating from Merrill High School in 1948. In 1950, he married the love of his life Joanna May (McAuliffe) and in 1951 enlisted in the Air Force. He served four years and was honorably discharged. He returned to Merrill with his family and spent the rest of his working life in agriculture. In 1975, Jim and Joanna partnered with Chris and Linda Moudry and Bob and Patsy Gasser to form Basin Fertilizer and Chemical Co., where he served the Klamath area farmers until his retirement. Jim had a rich and full life centered on family, friends, community, church, and farming and ranching. His generosity was well-known and he was a friend to many. Jim loved his golf, reading about history, watching documentaries on World War II and aircraft, playing his accordion and staying on top of current events. He was a great storyteller and could entertain for hours with his memories of people and events from since he was a child. Jim was truly a fine man, striving to "do right" by everyone he had dealings with. Funeral arrangements are being handled by O'Hair-Wards Funeral Chapel. A rosary will be said at 7 p.m. on Oct. 25 in O'Hair-Wards Funeral Chapel and the funeral Mass will be celebrated in St. Augustine's Catholic Church in Merrill at 10 a.m. Oct. 26. Contributions in Jim's memory can be made to Klamath Hospice or St. Augustine's Catholic Church in Merrill.
Subscribe Today! Please read: Readers of local content on the Herald and News website – heraldandnews.com – will require a subscription beginning today. For the first few months, non-subscribers will still be able to view 10 articles for free. If you are not already a subscriber, now is a great time to join for as little as $10/month!
- Klamath County election results
- Every day is Memorial Day on Burma Rim
- Five KCSD seniors win four-year college scholarships
- Oregon reports four deaths, 65 new confirmed COVID-19 cases Wednesday
- Oregon reports one death, 24 confirmed COVID-19 cases Thursday
- Oregon reports 1 death, 62 new confirmed COVID-19 cases Monday
- Klamath Union announces commencement plans and top grads
- Plaintiffs file temporary restraining order to restore water flows for Klamath River salmon
- Oregon reports two deaths, 45 confirmed COVID-19 cases on Friday
- Oregon Tech student wins heavy construction scholarship