Subscribe Today! Please read: Readers of local content on the Herald and News website – – will require a subscription beginning today. For the first few months, non-subscribers will still be able to view 10 articles for free. If you are not already a subscriber, now is a great time to join for as little as $10/month!
Sue Tinniswood memorial

A memorial sign made by Bill Tinniswood after the soccer field at Henley was named in his wife Sue’s memory Monday.

Sue Tinniswood will be forever remembered in the Klamath Basin.

It was Tinniswood who helped bring girls soccer to Henley High School in the mid-1980's.

This past Monday, Henley dedicated the soccer field in Tinniswood's name.

Right before Monday's girls soccer game against Klamath Union, Tinniswood was remembered and honored.

In November of 2010, Tinniswood died after a battle with colon cancer.

The dedication brought some of her most closets friends and family.

Longtime Henley track and field coach Ron Smith, current boys soccer coach Lupe Gonzalez and her youngest son, Jon Tinniswood, all spoke.

Her husband of 40 years, Bill, was present as well.

Smith was a close friend of Tinniswood and Gonzalez was close with Sue and Bill for decades.

For two years, Gonzalez lived in their home while he was a Hornet in high school.

The ambition to start the girls soccer program began when Sue attended her husband's soccer games when he was head coach at Henley.

The soccer field has a memorial sign on the entrance near the school's baseball field that was made by Bill Tinniswood.

“I remember the car ride we had going home one day. She said: 'The girls want to play soccer, too,' Bill Tinniswood said. “I told her it was going to be a lot of work.”

The next day, she was persistent and did her part in trying to bring a girls soccer program to Henley.

She talked to former athletic director Scott Waters about her idea.

The idea was brought to the school district before it was granted.

Henley was the last of the major schools which was given permission to have a girls soccer team, though there were some restrictions.

For three years, Sue Tinniswood did not receive pay for coaching the girls soccer team.

It was three years before the team received any funding.

Tinniswood coached the varsity program for over 20 years, which included a trip to the school's first playoff game. One of her team's went as far as the semifinals, and included several quarterfinal appearances.

Tinniswood worked in the special education department at Henley Middle School for nearly 20 years.

She helped struggling youth, and also did foster care for over three years until health issues made it difficult.

She wanted to be a part of the soccer program until she couldn't anymore. Once she gave up the head coaching position, she was the school's junior varsity coach. She did whatever she could to be near soccer and became a referee and helped the with the school's time clock.

“30 years later and now we have 29 girls who are on the team. (Her passing) it was a sad thing. She struggled for the last year of her life and it is something that you could not see coming. For the last two weeks of her life, she was not responsive but we all were there with her,” Bill Tinniswood said. “I had a young lady come up to me after Monday's dedication and she told me how much Sue really helped her as one of her special education students. Sue had one-on-one teaching sessions and helped her after she was behind in school. I know she helped so many more and that gives me peace.”

“I know that she will never really be forgotten.”