A Klamath County School District student was nearly abducted by a man in the neighborhood north of Shasta Elementary School on Thursday, Jan. 10, a KCSD press release said.
The student was walking home from a bus stop when a male driving a brown SUV with a silver strip, possibly a jeep, approached them, the press release said. The male tried to talk the student into entering his car but the student got away.
KCSD informed parents of the incident through its emergency alert system and posted an alert on their website, the press release said.
KCSD offered these safety tips for parents to share with their children:
- Walk in groups or with friends
- Be alert to vehicles that might be following them
- Do not talk to anyone that might approach them
- Share some tips to look for: someone saying they lost a pet, looking for a lost child, asking for help to complete a task – these are adult responsibilities and not your kids
- If near a public place, enter the establishment and report the concern to an adult
- If you see a suspicious vehicle or suspicious behavior, please report it to local law enforcement