100 years ago
That President H.D. Mortenson of the Pelican Bay Lumber Company, who has just returned from San Francisco where he attended the annual High Jinks of the Bohemian Club, and who has his head full of ideas obtained from this far-famed celebration, will have charge of the social features of the big barbecue at the Harriman Lodge during the Elks Convention next month, is the announcement made today by leaders of the local lodge, who are congratulating themselves on having secured assistance of this kind, because when “Mort” takes hold of anything, it is sure to go and it is safe to count on results that will be a delight to the visitors as well as those from Klamath Falls.
The details of the affair have not yet been announced, but a large crew of men are going to clean up a tract of fifty acres where the festivities are to be held, between the Rocky Point resort and Point Comfort. This area, while it will be left in its natural state, is to be cleared of all logs and underbrush that will interfere with the entertainment features. The place is in the form of a monster natural amphitheatre and is said to be particularly adapted to the purpose for which it is to be used.
Boats and barges of every description have been looked up and will be brought into use at the time of this big event when it is safe to predict that the number present will be many times greater than has ever been before assembled at this scenic spot.
— Evening Herald, July 9, 1919
50 years ago
A $599,208.76 payment of O&C funds from the U.S. Department of Interior has been received by Klamath County, only slightly less than the $600,780.45 from this source last year.
There is a possibility of another payment this fiscal year, depending on the price of timber, according to Mrs. Cyril (Eva) Cook, county treasurer.
The Bureau of Land Management administers O&C lands, claimed by the federal government from the former Oregon & California Railroad because it did not live up to terms of its land grant.
A threatened change by the U.S. Bureau of Budget in the distribution formula for allocation of timber receipts to the 18 Oregon counties affected did not materialize.
All O&C money goes into the county general fund, and the additional amount above that expected will be invested and will draw interest until budget time next year, according to Don Kenyon, chairman of the Klamath County Board of Commissioners.
Presently 18 counties get 75% of O&C timber revenues, a third of which goes to land management, road-building and recreation. The remaining 25 per cent goes to the federal government.
— Herald and News, July 8, 1969
25 years ago
From the outside, it’s such a lovely, historical building. Yet, as we all know, looks are often deceiving. Inside, the Baldwin Hotel Museum is the site of murder with all its attendant twists and turns and enigmas.
Some of the mystery revolves around the victim. Is it the silent movie mogul who is visiting Klamath Falls? Perhaps it’s one of the oil and gas magnates who want to drill for oil under Crater Lake.
Then there’s the crazy professors who think there is hot water under the city. These demented characters intend to drill to prove their point.
Even Maud Baldwin, who called the theater home for so many years, will put in a guest appearance (portrayed by a local actress).
Set in the year 1921, “Murder at the Baldwin” is written and directed by Paul Warshauer.
Those attending the catered dinner will roam the museum, eavesdrop on the characters, search for clues. Near the end of the evening, guests will cross-examine suspects and vote for their choice of murderer.
Tickets are $20 and include the mystery and the catered dinner.
Twelve actors and actresses will perform four different murder mysteries.
— Herald and News, July 10, 1994
10 years ago
More than 30 years ago, David Ham stood in front of his high school choir and introduced each one of his students. One by one, all 90 students rose as Ham shared their name, age and something unique about them.
Ham, who directed Klamath Union High School’s a capella choir from 1970 to 1980, did not see one large group of students before him – he saw 90 separate individuals, who, when together, made up the whole.
The choir will reunite this weekend to eat, reminisce and sing classical a capella and jazz songs. The reunion, which has people coming from international locations and states as distant as Georgia and Alaska, welcomes all members of Ham’s choir at Klamath Union High School from 1970 to 1980.
Ham is coming from Bowling Green, Ky., to attend the reunion.
— Herald and News, July 8, 2009