Subscribe Today! Please read: Readers of local content on the Herald and News website – heraldandnews.com – will require a subscription beginning today. For the first few months, non-subscribers will still be able to view 10 articles for free. If you are not already a subscriber, now is a great time to join for as little as $10/month!

Flames engulfed a residence on Homedale Road and 2008 silver Prius Thursday afternoon, blowing out glass from a nearby camper window and reducing the building to its charred skeleton.

Klamath County Fire District 1 Operations Chief Matt Hitchcock said there were no injuries from the fire on the 7300 block of Homedale. Hitchcock said he wasn’t yet sure what kindled the fire and ensuing explosions, but it may have started in a Prius parked outside the home’s front door.

Renter of the home, Duane Martin, guessed it started from his wall heater. Martin said he also kept propane inside the building, which could also have fed the flames.

Martin said just about everything inside had burnt up, but he figured he could stay for a while in his camper behind the home if he patched up its blown out window.

“I’m just hoping the guns are okay,” he said.

Martin keeps a large collection of firearms in a locked safe.

Martin remained calm as he surveyed the ruins. He said he couldn’t yet say how he felt.

“I’m just gonna have to deal with it I guess,” he said.

Hitchock said the firemen suppressed the flames in 10 to 15 minutes after they were called to the scene around 2 p.m. He wasn’t sure how much the property damaged was worth.

Hitchcock said KCFD1, Kingsley Fire and Oregon Department of Forestry responded.