November is Harry Potter Month at the downtown Klamath County Library, with events for witches and wizards of all ages (even adults). Participants can earn House Cup points for Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin by attending Hogwarts events, according to a news release.
Check out this jam-packed schedule:
- Friday, Nov. 2, and Friday, Nov. 9 at 3:30 p.m.: Ollivander’s Wand Shop. They say the wand chooses the wizard — customize a wand that’s as unique as you are. This craft is for all ages.
- Wednesday, Nov. 7, 3:30 p.m.: Sorting Hat Ceremony. Are you a brave Gryffindor, a hard-working Hufflepuff, a clever Ravenclaw or an ambitious Slytherin? Find out with our Sorting Hat. This event is for all ages.
- Wednesday, Nov. 14, 3:30 p.m.: Defense Against the Dark Arts. Learn how to protect yourself from dementors by making patronus charm necklaces and bracelets. Bring your wands to summon your patronus against a captive dementor. This event is for ages 18 and under.
- Friday, Nov. 16, 6 p.m.: Hogwarts Yule Ball. Dress up in your fanciest wizard regalia (or come in cosplay as your favorite Harry Potter character) for the library's first after-hours Hogwarts extravaganza. The library will have crafts, food and lots of Harry Potter-themed activities. Registration required. Sign up in advance at the Youth Services desk or call 541-882-8894. This after-hours event is for ages 12 to 18.
- Monday, Nov. 19, 1:30 p.m.: Interactive "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone." Get hands-on with the first Harry Potter movie by acting out when certain things happen on screen. This event is for all ages.
- Wednesday, Nov. 21, 3:30 p.m.: Potions class. Gather around the cauldron and mix up a slime concoction. This craft is for ages 18 and under.
- Wednesday, Nov. 28, 3:30 p.m.: Transfigurations class. Transform these plain old cupcakes into magical treats. The library will also announce the year’s House Cup winners at the end of class.
- Thursday, Nov. 29, 3:30 p.m.: Hogwarts Escape the Room Adventure. Summon all your puzzle-solving skills to escape. This event is for ages 6 to 11.
- Thursday, Nov. 29, 6 p.m.: Hogwarts Alumni Association — Harry Potter Crafts for Adults. The library doesn't want to leave out the folks who grew up with Harry Potter. There will be Hogwarts-themed crafts with a debate about which house is the coolest. (Spoilers: it’s Hufflepuff.) This event is for Harry Potter fans 19 and up.
Registration for these events is not required, except for the Yule Ball. Children under 10 should come with a parent or guardian. For more information or to sign up for the Yule Ball, call 541-882-8894 or visit the Youth Services desk.