Lucas & Howard Furniture salesman Dale Raymond sells a table to customer Helen Midkiff. The business is closing its doors after 92 years in the community.
- Lucas & Howard: The history behind the names
The business was originally a hardware store on Main Street opened by Marvin Lucas in 1920. In 1935, the store moved to East Main Street, where it remained until six years ago.
In the 1950s, Bonnie Howard, Lucas’ daughter, came into the business, and the store started selling furniture and became Lucas & Howard.
JoAn Bigby started as a bookkeeper at the business 30 years ago, working for Jim Howard, Bonnie’s son.
In 1984, Ron Smith bought the business from the Howards and moved JoAn to sales and then to general manager. JoAn bought the business from Smith and later sold it to her son, Paul Bigby.
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:45 pm
Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:45 pm.